Come join us for five days of pastry fun in Gascony at Kate Hill’s 18th Century Farmhouse, called Camont. We’ll get busy in the kitchen learning all the basics you need to know to create beautiful desserts and travel around in the region!
The itinerary will include a visit to the market at Nerac, a very cute town that was the setting of the movie Chocolat, a demonstration at a local bakery on how to make a regional dessert, the Croustade, and pastry instruction each day at Camont! We will use fresh eggs from the chickens, and flowers and herbs from the garden to decorate and infuse our creations.
Each day Kate will be making lunch and we’ll finish up the day about 4/5pm giving you time to explore the region or just relax and eat sweet treats!
On the Itinerary:
Tuesday: We’ll meet at Camont to start off our baking adventure with a lesson in Tarte au Citron three ways. Each method, builds on the next in easy increments showing you lots of techniques to make your own at home!
Wednesday: In the morning we’re off to a local bakery in a nearby village to have a demonstration in a typical regional dessert: the Apple Croustade! On our way back to Camont we’ll stop by the apple orchard to pick up some different varieties for a classic French apple tart.
Thursday: Let’s bake the day away! It’s tea time at Kate’s with little treats like Madeleines, Financiers (or friands), chocolate mousse, strawberry cakes and more!
Friday: Today we are conquering a masterpiece, a French dessert called the Saint Honore, a pastry that’s made with a simple version of puff pastry, and whipped Chantilly cream!
Saturday: We’ll meet at the market in Nerac to visit the stands together and visit the guy that makes amazing caneles! Then in the afternoon we’ll make French Macarons together- going over the different techniques and filling possibilities.
- We will be baking in Kate Hill’s restored 18th-century farmhouse in both the original and the professional kitchens, and making use of the kitchen gardens, orchards, and edible flowers on the property.
- Instruction is in English (although Kate and I both speak French) and is suitable for all levels (just bring your love of baking!). Guests stay in nearby accommodation in charming Nérac that we can help arrange- from village hotel to chateau to country home.
- Each person will leave with a Oui Sucre! market basket, including your own tools you’ll need to make the recipes we learn over the weekend: your own a French rolling pin, piping tips and bags, a few surprises.
- Flour, sugar, fresh eggs, seasonal fruit, and an unlimited supply of butter are my secret ingredients. Dive deep into the basics as we make fanciful sweet creations with delicious flavors, delicate colors, meringue accents, and of course, all that comes with decoration (aka gold luster dust!).
Each person will leave with a Oui Sucre! Bag, including the tools you’ll need to make the recipes we learn over the weekend from a French rolling pin to piping tips and bags.
We will be covering the following techniques:
– Pate Sucrée
– Chantilly Whipped Cream
– Italian Meringue
– Créme d’Amande
– Lemon Curd
– Pastry Cream (several different flavors)
– Pâte à Choux
– Rough Puff Pastry
– and more!
The French Pastry Weekend Workshop Includes:
- Five days of pastry instruction (approximately 9:30am to about 4:30pm)
- Market Tour at Nérac and Bakery Visit
- Very Small Group (6 max)
- The Oui Sucre! Bag full of pastry equipment and supplies (including a French rolling pin, piping tips, and tart rings)
- All recipes
- Coffee, Lunches, and “Gouter” where we’ll try what we made
- Refreshments (including local wine, bien sur!)
- A Camont professional apron
- All ingredients and materials
Does not include: accommodation, airfare or other transportation, other meals, personal items, and personal expenses.
Dates: April 23-27, 2019 and June 25-29, 2019
Location: Kate Hill’s Camont, about 15-20 minutes drive from Agen (and smack dab in between Bordeaux and Toulouse)
To book in we ask for a 50% deposit, with the remainder due one month before. If you’d like to reserve your space, fill out this form and we’ll be in touch with more information and an invoice for the deposit.
Hope to see you soon!